explore
Outline

Boulevard ring is an unbroken chain of streets in the Central district of Moscow and includes 10 boulevards. Despite its name ring is not complete – on the map, it looks like a horseshoe cause it is bounded by the Moscow River on the south side. The length of the Boulevard ring is more than 9 km.

The city had grown at the end of the 18th century and the wall around the White city lost its defensive role. The boulevards were established on the wall's place in 1770-1780 after it was dismantled. The names of many squares between boulevards remind us about the wall.

By the 800 years, the anniversary of the foundation of Moscow on the Boulevard ring was planted more than 4 thousand trees and 13 thousand bushes in 1947. The Boulevard ring was announced as a monument of gardening art in 1978.

Boulevard ring consists of Gogolevsky boulevard, Nikitsky boulevard, Petrovsky boulevard, Rozhdestvensky boulevard, Sretensky boulevard, Strastnoy boulevard, Tverskoy boulevard, Chistoprudny boulevar, Pokrovsky and Yauzsky boulevard.

Gogolevsky boulevard

This boulevard was established after 1812. It begins at the Prechistinskie Vorota Square. At the end of Gogolevsky's boulevard, the monument of writer Gogol stands, surrounded by beautiful old-fashioned lanterns with lions.

Nikitsky boulevard

Nikitsky boulevard appeared in Moscow soon after the 1812 fire. There are apartments of Gogol in house number 7 in which he lived until his death in 1852. Nowadays there's a Gogol's City Library in this building and a museum in his apartments.

Sretensky boulevard

Sretensky boulevard is the shortest boulevard in Moscow with a length of 214 meters. On the left side, there's is house number 6/1 built by architect Proskurin. French architect Le Corbusier considered this building the most beautiful one in Moscow.

Tverskoy boulevard

Tverskoy Boulevard was built in 1796 by the architect Karin. It's the longest boulevard on the Boulevard ring.

Chistoprudny boulevard

Chistoprudny boulevard is the second long boulevard after Tverskoy one. The famous Chistie Prudy (“Clean ponds”) are situated here. To the right you can see an Archangel alley where Archangel Gavriil Church stands, it was built by an order of Menshikov in the 18th century.

to top
ico

Coronavirus (covid-19): for travel information visit this page.

-