The Motherland Calls is a central part of the monument to the Heroes of Stalingrad Battle on Mamaev Kurgan in Volgograd. It is a part of the triptych; the other two parts are the Rear-front Memorial in Magnitogorsk and the Soviet War Memorial in Berlin. The point of the triptych implies that the sword was created in Magnitogorsk, was raised by the Motherland, and was laid down after the victory in Berlin.
It is one of the highest statues worldwide and the highest statue in Russia and Europe; it is 2,5 times higher than the Statue of Liberty in New York. It represents a woman's figure stepping ahead with a raised sword. The sculpture symbolizes the Motherland calling its sons (Soviet citizens) to the battle against the enemy. Creating the monument started in 1959 and was ready in 1967; at that time, it was the highest monument in the world. The overall height of the statue is 85 meters.